Monday, May 5, 2014

The friends we lose

I was informed by a friend that Sandra Gelber a Bartlett coworker and friend died up Salmon creek trail. I couldn't really fathom the the idea that this woman who has so much energy and personality could leave us so soon. When we talked about each others goals she would joking call me crazy. I kept reminder her, tho I admire her for it I thought she was crazy biking to work no matter the weather. I remember her standing at the door of Mental Health calling to be let in. Tho the monitor isnt great I could see a thin 5" 5' foot lady with a gate belt rapped around her waist and her pink Salomon shoes made it easy for me to confirm it was Sandra. With such admired optimism and spunk at the age of 60 she was an unbelievable person. She reminded me of another active person who passed too soon, a man named Glen Frick.

Glen with his off the wall jokes and unorthodox directional running made him the class clown of our running club. I probably dont need to describe him any further because im sure almost everyone knows him or has heard a story or two from him:)

These reflections also made me think back to Steve Reese a man who was know to a supporting father. He soild his doughters girl scout cookies like no other parent. He was so successful at it I remember working night shift and seeing him on the video monitor coming from down the hall wheeling a red wagon full of girl scout cookies. He died almost three years ago out on Herbert Glacier trail. 
My uncontrollable emotion hit me tears swelled my eyes. I felt lucky the weather called for sun glasses. The loud backpack leaf blower drowned out anything that might be heard otherwise. I just made sure to spend as much time as I needed bowing the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment