Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Unsung Heros

Besides parents who spends the most time with our Juneau kids?...... Hopefully not a probationary officers. Juneau's teachers, coaches and after school volunteers spend the most time with our kids. Some could argue more then parents especially in this "more is better society" we need mutable jobs that take away family time to afford family things we buy.

I have been apart of a starting line that exceeds a thousand runners but it was a new thrill to be among these kids who wanted to purely better themselves.

The kids swarm to Zack Stenson, the PE coach giving him hugs and high fives this  trigered my own childhood memory. It made me reflect how important the roll of my coach, school teachers, and parents were to me, growing up. They were people who had an active hand in my education, up bringing and they were people I did not want to disappoint.  Thankful I wasnt considered cool growing up and what the cool kids did behind the school truned me off the idea to try to be cool. At the age where fitting in was so important I didnt have the smarts to be "in" with the smart kids, or the cool kids. Sports provided me that feeling of belonging.
Talking infront of people was a nightmare years ago. I am so grateful to have the experience been with the Fire Department CCFR fire prevention team because it allowed me to confront my fear of public speaking and fine tune, what I think is an invaluable skill. The talk energized me.  I talked about my race goals, answered questions and asked them questions. I talked to them as a whole but I was really trying to reach out to the ones that needed sports as much as I did, growing up.
Here I am a guy that runs senseless miles and shows up once and talk like I know something. What Juneau really needs is more Zack Stensons motivating kids day to day in PE. The Jeannette Dunn, Kristin Cashman, Jenny Twito & Tracy Rivera at every school to put on a before or after physical education program. The Marathon club that is put on by
Zack, Kristin Cashman, Elizabeth Brennell and parent volunteers help nurture and develop our future. They are another great example of time well spent with positive roll models, cause its eather these amzaing people or probationary officers.

No comments:

Post a Comment