Saturday, March 8, 2014

First Blog

I have a blog now devoted to updates and pre and post race thoughts throughout my Alaska Slam experience.  I started running to improve myself, the same thought taken in consideration when creating this blog. I not only want to share my experience but to improve my writing. Elementary to high school I coasted on the ideas that maybe I have a handicap, dyslexia, or some kind of learning disorder. It wasn't until college that I took an active approach to my education. But I discovered how behind I was academically compared to my peers. I struggled in college, academic probation, and test anxiety prevented a clear learning experience. Failure had haunted me and a future with a college degree looked bleak. Four years later, I graduated with an associates degree. I rationalized the length of time as if I was running. I'm not the fastest but I'm gonna finish. Running did not conquer all my fears but it was a start. My anxiety decreased, confidence increased, and it allowed me to conduct my energy in a productive manner. I have created a small buisness running dogs and even taking on the challenge of public writing "bogging" is a brave new challenge for me. I have discovered all of this about myself thanks to running.

This being my first entry I want to convey a message of thanks. I'm thankful for the beautiful place I live and play. I'm thankful for the community of family, my family, friends, my sponsorship with TSS, and Annie my girlfriend. I'm thankful for my readers. Im thankful that drugs don't control my life. Most importantly im thankful for a man named Glen Frik who recently departed. He showed me with his hilarious antics running should be fun, like falsely yelling out "bear!" on a dimly lit trail. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment