Friday, March 14, 2014

Running Dog Errands “literally”

Tuesday’s workout was in consideration of saving gas and putting in some mileage. I parked my truck at my first dog location, a neighborhood close to Mendenhall Bridge. As I leached Gamby, a standard size poodle, I rap another leash around my self, for plans to pick up a second dog during this leg. Gamby and I ran for three miles to a neighborhood a little past Spaulding Meadows to pick up my next client. We picked up Chester a small labradoodle (he's the dog on my facebook profile picture). These two dogs are so different in size but are hilarious to watch play. They animate one another and are filled with so much energy that I can’t put on their leashes fast enough.

So we hit the road until we get to Auke Lake trail to have some trail fun. I could smellthe scent of some low hanging tree branches. It was like Mother Nature's call. After disposing Mother Nature’s calling (poop) we head back to Gamby’s house. Gamby completed 6 miles in little over an hour. Chester and I said our goodbyes and retraced our steps back to Chester’s home. There I cleaned him up and said goodbye. I was up to 9 miles so I decided to run to Back Loop Road to run/walk a new client of mine, a very pretty sheltie named Xena. Xena and I were still warming up to each other being this was only our second run/walk. So we took a 30 minute jog around Montana Creek area. We got in 2 miles and time was up. I returned Xena home and finished my run through Back Loop to Mendenhall Road back to the neighborhood I parked my car totaling 20 “productive” miles.

This "errand running" started when I became burnt out from mileage counting. The long mileage or even short days along with large loads of errands to do felt like a burden. I realized I could start returning my DVDs to Blockbuster by running there. And I get more reward out of my run. Even though I look pretty goofy running in the valley with a DVDs in each hand, I kept thinking about the gas money I'm saving. Then at the end of the day of running and running errands I would add up the mileage. Running errands changed my view on running. Not only will I run for my future race goals but to get stuff done. I’m all for that!

1 comment: